The Cousin Collector
MOGenWeb and VAGenWeb Projects
Amelia County was named for Princess Amelia Sophia Eleanora, daughter of George II of England. It was formed from Prince George and Brunswick counties in 1734. Its area encompasses 366 square miles. The county seat is Amelia.
DeKalb County was organized on 25 February 1845 from Clinton County and is named after the American Revolutionary War general Johann de Kalb. Many records were lost in an 1878 courthouse fire.
Gentry County was formed in 1845 from Clinton County. The Gentry County Courthouse burned in 1885. The county seat is Albany, Missouri.
Organized January 26, 1833, from Cooper and Saline Counties, and named for Spencer Pettis, a Missouri congressman. Sedalia is the county seat and also home of the annual Missouri State Fair. Pettis is a strong rural county, but Sedalia was closely tied to the railroad lines passing through it. Those times are almost forgotten, except for the annual Ragtime Festival held to commemorate the partnership in Sedalia of music publisher John Stark and ragtime composer Scott Joplin.
Pettis County Courts first met at St. Helena (Pin Hook), circa 1833-37, at the home of James Ramey, and then moved to Georgetown in 1837. A small courthouse was built there and served until the county seat moved to Sedalia in 1865. (The Georgetown courthouse structure was destroyed by fire June 22, 1920.) Temporary structures were used in Sedalia until 1884 when a contract was allowed for bid. The winning dimensions were 100 by 145 feet, with a 22-foot tower. Carthage stone was used for the base; the upper portion had stone veneering. Crossing halls and public offices were tiled; two courtrooms occupied the second floor. Walls of the courtrooms were frescoed, and the ceilings were painted with allegorical scenes by Italian artists. The oak furniture was hand carved. The courthouse was heavily damaged by fire on June 16, 1920. Restoration and renovation took 4 years and were completed in 1925. But all of the above indicates an obvious records chase in Pettis County for researchers.
Saline County was organized November 25, 1820, (effective January 1, 1821) from Cooper County and named for its numerous salt springs. Bordered on the north by the Missouri River, Saline County was considered to be part of "Little Dixie" in the antebellum years.
Taney County was officially organized on January 6, 1837 from a portion of Greene County and has since helped give birth to several more counties. Originally Taney covered a much larger area than we see today. Just 4 years after its formation, territory was taken to create Ozark County. In 1851 the western portion of the county was taken to form Stone County. In 1857 Douglas County was formed partly from Taney, and Howell County was taken from territory originally in Taney but now part of Ozark County. Then in 1859 the northern part was taken, along with territory from Greene and Webster Counties to form Christian County.